What’s better than banana bread? Matcha banana bread! This is a tasty take on the classic banana bread recipe. It’s all natural and filled with matcha swirls throughout. If you’ve never baked with matcha powder, no worries, we include some easy tips on how to achieve the best matcha-flavored treat in this vegan matcha banana bread!
More banana recipes on the blog:
the matcha secret
Ever seen a fancy green foam at a coffee shop? Or that green swirl in a pastry item at a bakery? 9/10 it’s matcha. Green matcha tastes just the same as green tea (a grassy flavor) and they have similar health benefits. Matcha is the key ingredient in this recipe! We used 1 tbsp of a high quality grade matcha powder which gave us that fresh & vibrant green color! You can toss matcha powder into your smoothies, oats, coffee, desserts, & even breads! It’s easily bendable, and doesn’t have that much of an overpowering taste (as long as it’s used in moderation). Don’t worry….we have plenty of matcha recipes loading….
To create that epic swirl in this vegan matcha banana bread, dollop both batters randomly throughout the pan. Finish with swirling around the batters, using a knife.
Your first try at vegan baking should be anything bananas! Bananas are healthy, easy to add to your desserts, and blend smoothly in your pastry batters. We’ve mastered making cupcakes, muffins, pancakes, cookies, and sweet treats all vegan! Try out our Coconut Pecan Almond Butter Cups for an amazing vegan no-bake recipe!
banana bread baking tips
Bananas are the key flavors in this recipe! It’s a perfect substitute for eggs (which we used as an egg replacer in this recipe), and it carries most of the flavors! Here’s a few things to keep in mind when baking banana bread:
- Use overripe bananas
- The brown spotted bananas you’re thinking of throwing out? Don’t! These are filled with the perfect flavors and ready to be thrown into your desserts!
- Mash bananas before adding it to your batter
- No one wants clumpy bananas throughout their batter. Mashing bananas helps smoothly blend in all of the ingredients
- Use the correct banana size
- Bananas can be large, medium, or small. Each recipe should specify which size of bananas to use. Adding too much banana can give you a longer bake time, or using too little banana can give you no flavor with a shorter bake time.
Our Banana Carrot Cake Loaf is another popular banana recipe on this site!
Bananas: Use overripe bananas & mash the bananas before adding it to your batter.
Vegetable Oil: Oil in your loaf cakes make the best crumb. I love to pair oil with greek yogurt (or sour cream) because it brings out a softer, moist cake crumb.
Brown & White Sugar: We used a combo to add depth to our banana bread! The brown sugar adds rich flavor while the white sugar balances it out. We didn’t want to thick of a banana bread–where it would overpower the matcha.
Almond Milk Yogurt: This creates the amazing moist textured loaf. Using a vanilla flavored vegan yogurt adds more vanilla flavor to your loaf. It enhances that smooth taste and brings out the flavors! If you have a nut allergy, substitute soy or coconut-milk yogurt.
Matcha Powder: This gives the green flavor in the bread. Separate your batter before adding it in. You can find amazing, high-grade matcha powders in almost all grocery stores. We used Carrington Farms Organic Matcha Powder.
Now let’s get into this Vegan Matcha Banana Bread recipe!
Vegan Matcha Banana Bread
- 1¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup veg oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup almond milk yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 large bananas
- 1 tbsp matcha powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, combine the vegetable oil, mashed bananas, almond milk yogurt, and vanilla together.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Separate 1/3 of the batter. Mix in the matcha powder until a green batter forms.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Dollop the banana batter & the matcha batter throughout the pan. Using a knife, swirl around the banana bread.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let the banana bread cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes before removing and slicing.
Comment below what matcha treat you’re loving right now!