These Banana Muffins with Coffee Streusel are moist, rich in flavor, and have a tender crumb filled with pops of espresso & nutty flavors! It’s like your favorite banana bread and coffee cake had a baby. Every bite has a cinnamon coffee crunch-it’s just so good! Not only for breakfast, but for dessert or a mid-day snack!
The key ingredient in these Banana Muffins with Coffee Streusel is espresso powder. Baking with espresso powder is key when you want a coffee-based dessert (or when you want to bring out flavors in chocolate desserts). King Arthur Baking Co has an amazing espresso powder that’s perfect and ready to use for any baking! It’s a strong, vibrant, and robust flavor that’s perfect for your recipes!
BAKING WITH BANANAS
Bananas are the base ingredient in this recipe! It carries most of the flavors with the help of a little vanilla extract. Bananas are great baking ingredients because they’re a perfect substitute for eggs. Here’s a few things to keep in mind when baking with bananas:
- Use overripe bananas
- The brown spotted bananas you’re thinking of throwing out? Don’t! These are filled with the perfect flavors and ready to be thrown into your desserts!
- Mash bananas before adding it to your batter
- No one wants clumpy bananas throughout their batter. Mashing bananas helps smoothly blend in all of the ingredients
- Use the correct banana size
- Bananas can be large, medium, or small. Each recipe should specify which size of bananas to use. Adding too much banana can give you a longer bake time, or using too little banana can give you no flavor with a shorter bake time.
This Banana Muffin with Coffee Streusel recipe make 16-18 muffins and are great with any breakfast or mid-day snack.
Banana Nut Muffins with Coffee Crumb Streusel
- 1 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 medium banana mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Coffee Crumb Streusel
- ½ cup all purpose flour + 2 tbsp
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat oil, brown sugar, white sugar, and espresso powder together until combined. Slowly add in each egg separately and mix together. Add in sour cream and vanilla bean paste.
- On a separate plate/bowl mash the bananas until smooth. Add bananas to wet mixture and beat on medium speed. Add in flour and mix until fully combined.
- Line a muffin tin. Scoop the batter into the liners and fill 1/2 way.
Coffee Crumb Streusel
- In a small bowl combine flour, white sugar, brown sugar, espresso powder, and cinnamon together until dry crumbs form. Scoop crumbs evenly over each muffin batter (about 2 tbsp per muffin).
- Bake for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let muffins cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix powdered sugar and almond milk together. Drizzle over cooled muffins.
Look at our recipe reel of these muffins on our Instagram! Try them out + tag us on IG!(@_thekitchenconversation) #TheKitchenConversation
What type of recipes are you excited for this year?!