You know those desserts that just make you all giddy and excited, feeling like a little kid again?! It’s Rice Krispie treats for us! Rice Krispies gives me instant flashes back to my childhood with the shiny blue package and the rectangle-shaped treat! It was the perfect snack that was mess-free, buttery, and had an amazing crunch. We remixed this recipe by adding brown butter and snickers! These snickers Rice Krispie treats are your new favorite no-bake, chocolatey goodness snack!
Still feeling that childhood nostalgia? Check out our Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats!
BROWN BUTTER TIPS
- Add the butter to a light colored pan over high heat.
- Having a light colored pan will help you see the butter clearly! You’ll know when it goes from bright yellow, to a darker yellow, and finally settling to brown.
- Once the butter fully melts, reduce the heat to medium.
- Melting the butter on high gets you jumpstarted on the process. As soon as the entire block of butter has melted, quickly reduce the heat to medium. This heat change will give you control of the browning process.
- Constantly stir the butter in a clockwise (or counterclockwise) direction.
- Stirring ensures even cooking time and prevents burning.
- Once the butter starts to darken, immediately remove the pot from the stove.
- Don’t wait for the butter to get very dark! As soon as you see brown specs appear, you’re good to go! There’s only a few seconds between having great brown butter and getting burnt butter.
- Pour the browned butter into a heat-safe glass dish and let it cool to room temperature
- Even if it’s off the stove, the butter can still burn in the pot! I use Pyrex or any clear glass dish that can handle high heat. It’ll help the butter cool to room temperature.
- If you’re like us, pretty impatient, you can place this in the fridge & it’ll get to room temperature in no time!
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST TREATS
- The Sauce. Medium heat is the perfect temperature for making this sauce. STIR CONSTANTLY. Because this is brown butter, it can burn pretty quickly. Use a heat-proof silicone spatula to mix this well.
- It’s HOT. Mixing in extra chocolate chips or marshmallows into the glass dish means they’re gonna melt pretty easily. Try layering these into the loaf pan. First spread out 1/2 of the mixture, sprinkle a few marshmallows & pour your chopped snickers in, then spread out the rest of the mixture on top. It’ll be the best photo-worth, chewy pull-apart treat.
- Patience Is Key. Letting these set in a pan is probably the most crucial step. Those clean cut lines are achieved by letting the mixture sit in a lined loaf pan for 2 hours.
- Want More? Double up this recipe & use a 9×9 baking dish to let the treats set.
Crispy Rice Cereal: The main texture of these treats are a good crispy rice cereal. Rice Krispies makes their own, or you can buy an off-brand cereal! We promise, your flavor and texture of the treats won’t be compromised.
Brown Butter: Cut half a stick or measure out 1/4 cup of butter. This doesn’t need to be softened or melted, since we’re using the stove to make an amazing mixture. A perfect vegan swap is using vegan butter.
Marshmallows: The heart and soul of these treats! If you’re looking for a vegan alternative, there are so many amazing brands that make vegan marshmallows. It’s an equal substitution. We’re not new to this, we’re TRUE to this. Also enjoy this amazing recipe with marshmallows: Double Chocolate Chip Cookie S’mores.
Optional Toppings: Chocolate Chips. Toss in some semi-sweet chocolate chips (55% cacao), peanuts, hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans, or any other nut!
Let’s bake these snickers rice kripsie treats!
Snickers Rice Krispie Treats
- ¼ cup brown butter half a stick
- 1½ cups jumbo marshmallows (about 10)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup mini snickers* chopped
- On the stove, melt the butter in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add in the marshmallows & stir the pot regularly*
- Add in the vanilla and dark chocolate hazelnut spread. Mix well until a smooth, thick, consistency forms.
- Pour the mixture into a heat-safe glass bowl.
- Pour in the crispy rice cereal and mix until it’s fully coated. Add in the chocolate chips.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Evenly spread out the mixture & let it sit in the pan for 2 hours. Top off with chocolate chips & more marshmallows!
- Slice the treats & enjoy!