Strawberry season is upon us! 🍓 This recipe is a classic strawberry cupcake with poppyseeds! Although you’ve seen lemon poppyseed cakes, muffins, and cookies, poppyseeds taste just as good with strawberry-flavored recipes! Plus the smooth, creamy, extra sweet strawberry buttercream to top off these treats. This recipe makes 6-7 cupcakes, which is great for a small gathering or a daily treat for the week! Come along as we take you through step by step of how to make the best strawberry poppyseed cupcakes!
More in Strawberry Season: Strawberry Donuts
Butter: Using softened butter is great! We creamed the butter & sugar together for the best fluffy texture. You can sub melted butter or vegetable oil.
Eggs: The base structure of this cake is eggs! For a non dairy alternative, sub flax eggs, applesauce, or use Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer.
Greek Yogurt: This creates the amazing moist texture. It blends perfectly and brings out the amazing flavors! You can sub sour cream or your favorite dairy-free vanilla yogurt (almond milk-based yogurt is our go to)!
Strawberry Extract: Instant strawberry flavor comes from this extract!
Strawberries: Coat your strawberries in flour! This prevents the strawberries from leaking too much (which would give you a soggy cupcake). Cut them up small and toss them into the batter.
Food Coloring: This is optional! But if you want that pink buttercream color, we suggest adding 1-2 drops! If you want a natural sweet flavor take out the strawberry extract and sub ½ tbsp of dried strawberry powder.
How TO MAKE THE BEST CUPCAKES 🧁
Room temperature ingredients: When your sweets are baking, air expands and helps to create a light tender result. They make baking so much smoother with the best tasting results!
Butter + Sugar: Cream together the butter & sugar until it turns fluffy. It’s important to not over-cream your butter. We suggest beating until both are combined & fluffy (1-2 minutes)
More Cupcakes: Maple Apple Cinnamon Cupcakes
- Beat the butter first until it becomes fluffy, then add powdered sugar in small chunks.
- using softened butter is best
- Use milk or heavy cream
- heavy cream will help you get that thick, creamy texture, while milk will give you a fluffier texture.
- add your milk or cream slowly. you can always add more, but you can never take the milk out.
- Add strawberry extract (or any other flavored extract)
- this brings extra flavors and added sweetness to your buttercream
- Cover the bowl with a towel while mixing
- there are many times I’ve had powdered sugar flying everywhere when adding it to the mixer because it wasn’t covered
- The spatula test!
- this is a quick way to confirm that your frosting is the perfect consistency
- press a spatula into your frosting and pull it up.
- the frosting should be a stiff peak with a slight curl on the end
- if it’s too stiff add more milk, if it’s too thin, add more powdered sugar (1/3 cup at a time)
There’s nothing more satisfying than putting buttercream into a piping bag and letting your creative mind flow when you’re decorating these strawberry poppyseed cupcakes.
Now let’s get baking!
Strawberry Poppyseed Cupcakes
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup butter softened
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup greek yogurt
- 1 tsp strawberry extract
- 1 tsp poppyseeds
- ½ cup strawberries diced
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1½ tsp heavy whipping cream (or sub milk)
- ½ tsp strawberry extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- In a medium bowl cream together butter and sugar (about 1-2 minutes). Add in the egg & beat it until it's fully mixed in.
- Add the greek yogurt & vanilla.
- Add in the flour mix & beat on low until it's fully combined. Fold in the poppyseeds and the strawberries.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Fill the liners ½ way with batter.
- Bake cupcakes for 22-23 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool to room temperature before frosting.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until it's fluffy (1-2 minutes). Add in the powdered sugar (½ cup at a time) & beat on medium.
- Add in the heavy cream & strawberry extract. Beat until a smooth buttercream forms
- Frost the cupcakes!
Checkout our Instagram for the full reel! Did you make this? We’d love for you to tag us & show off your wonderful treat!