Ever had a brown butter chocolate chip cooke? Well, this recipe is that and so much more! Brown butter is amazing, and if you’re just finding out about it, we’re truly sorry you’ve missed out on some of the best tasting desserts. But honestly, this is the perfect introduction to brown butter (we even give you amazing brown butter tips below!). Chewy, full of flavor, and super moist–this mouth watering brown butter chocolate chip loaf cake is perfect for a mid-day snack or treat!
This recipe came about because I wanted a chocolate chip cookie and a loaf cake all in one. Chocolate chips aren’t just for cookies. Muffins, breads, and cakes with chocolate chips are some of the best tasting desserts! I created this recipe by using a simple loaf cake recipe, adding brown butter, and adding chocolate chips. We topped it off with more chocolate chips and a slight swirl from Fine & Raw’s Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Butter (we made some amazing Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats with this spread too). Why not create the best cookie-like brown butter chocolate chip loaf!
BROWN BUTTER TIPS
- Add the butter to a light colored pan over high heat.
- Having a light colored pan will help you see the butter clearly! You’ll know when it goes from bright yellow, to a darker yellow, and finally settling to brown.
- Once the butter fully melts, reduce the heat to medium.
- Melting the butter on high gets you jumpstarted on the process. As soon as the entire block of butter has melted, quickly reduce the heat to medium. This heat change will give you control of the browning process.
- Constantly stir the butter in a clockwise (or counterclockwise) direction.
- Stirring ensures even cooking time and prevents burning.
- Once the butter starts to darken, immediately remove the pot from the stove.
- Don’t wait for the butter to get very dark! As soon as you see brown specs appear, you’re good to go! There’s only a few seconds between having great brown butter and getting burnt butter.
- Pour the browned butter into a heat-safe glass dish and let it cool to room temperature
- Even if it’s off the stove, the butter can still burn in the pot! I use Pyrex or any clear glass dish that can handle high heat. It’ll help the butter cool to room temperature.
- If you’re like us, pretty impatient, you can place this in the fridge & it’ll get to room temperature in no time!
That’s it! These simple 5 steps will ensure you get perfect brown butter for any dessert recipe!
Espresso Powder: Espresso powder is the cute best friend to all chocolate-based recipes. Whether it’s cake, muffins, cookies, or loafs–if it has espresso powder, it’s automatically a winner! Really, this is a hidden gem. No–it won’t taste like bitter coffee. Espresso powder brings out a rich flavor in your recipe. Just trust us on this one.
Brown Butter: Melted brown butter is the heart of this recipe. It really makes this loaf cake soft, flavorful, and so moist! For a dairy-free alternative, swap the butter for coconut oil (we can’t promise the same nutty taste).
Eggs: The base structure of this cake is eggs! For a non dairy alternative, sub flax eggs, applesauce, or use Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer.
Greek Yogurt: This creates the amazing moist textured loaf. Using yogurt really gives it that smooth taste and brings out the flavors! You can sub sour cream or your favorite dairy-free vanilla yogurt (we’ve tried almond milk-based yogurt and it’s amazing too).
Chocolate Chips: To make this loaf cake, we obviously needed the star of the show. You can cut up a chocolate bar, use semi-sweet, or bittersweet chips. To complete this as a vegan recipe, use vegan chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chips). A slight chocolate remix would be to use white chocolate chips. If you love those, you’ll obsess over our Banana White Chocolate Chip Cookies.
You can go further with this loaf by like adding nuts or drizzling a chocolate spread on top or throughout. Put your own spin and twist to this brown butter chocolate chip loaf!
Thinking about becoming a freelancer? Here’s our list of the 5 Essentials Every Freelancer needs! We provide all the important tools, trips, and amazing info you’ll need to launch your business or upgrade your brand!
Now, let’s bake this epic brown butter chocolate chip loaf!
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Loaf
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (+ 2 tbsp)
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1/2 cup brown butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large bowl, whisk together the brown butter, sugar, eggs, greek yogurt, and vanilla together. Mix until everything is fully combined.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, & espresso powder. Mix until a thick batter forms.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Evenly spread out the batter into a loaf pan. Top off with more chocolate chips*
- Bake for 60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean
Did you make this recipe? Tag us on Instagram or use our hashtags #MyKitchen for a feature!