Since there’s PB&J can we officially make almond butter AB&J? Asking for a friend 🙂 We’re pretty excited about this recipe! It’s not everyday that we get to make an epic treat for all plant based foodies! These vegan almond butter & jelly crumble bars are moist, full of so much flavor, and super easy. It reminds us of our nostalgic childhood peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. Except we used an amazing almond butter. These bars are a great breakfast or mid-day treat! Don’t believe us, just try it–we promise you’ll be obsessed!
Checkout a few of our amazing almond butter recipes:
I think your first try at vegan baking should be anything oats or bananas! Bananas and oats both are healthy, easy to add to your desserts, and pair perfectly in your pastry batters. Vegan baking shouldn’t be so difficult. We’ve mastered making cupcakes, muffins, cookies, pancakes, and all types of vegan sweet treats! Try out our Vegan Banana Donuts for an amazing vegan recipe using bananas! Incase you want a good breakfast dish, checkout our amazing Low Sugar Vegan & GF Low Sugar Pancake Recipe.
We used a common, easy egg replacer in this recipe: flaxegg (which is super popular in vegan baking). In case you want an additional egg replacer there are vegan options like using xanthum gum or egg replacer mixes like Bob’s Red Mill (which is tried & true–check out our Vegan & Gluten Free Oat Brad to see how this replacer turned out in our loaf!).
Almond Butter: In need of a good almond butter for this recipe? If you’re tired of the generic brands from the grocery store, we’re good friends with Revival Food Co! You can use their Sea Salt Vanilla Almond Butter for this recipe!
Jelly: Grape jelly! Sub strawberry jelly for a twist!
Flaxegg: An IMPORTANT vegan egg substitute! It’s all natural and super easy to use in recipes. To create 1 flaxegg, add 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed meal with 3 tbsp of water. Let it sit for 5 minutes until a slime-like texture forms (yeah, that’s exactly what it looks like–but it totally works) This recipe calls for 2 tbsp of flaxegg, so you’d combine 2 tbsp of flaxseed meal & 6 tbsp of water!
Coconut Oil: This gives our bars that smooth & chewy texture! Substitute vegetable oil.
Vegan Streusel: The BEST sweet crumble on top. It adds that slight crunch & it’s base is almond butter.
COOLING TIP: these bars NEED TO COOL! They have to settle in the middle otherwise they’d be a hot gooey mess (still enjoyable though!). Let these sit out for 30 minutes after removing from the oven. Once the middle sets, these bars will be so chewy & super sweet for your tastebuds! Store in a sealed container or in a ziplock bag, room-temp for up to 5 days.
These vegan almond butter & jelly crumble bars are a total sweet treat! Let’s get into this recipe!
Almond Butter & Jelly Crumble Bars
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp flaxegg
- ½ cup almond butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup grape jelly
Almond Butter Crumble
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp vegan butter melted
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, combine all purpose flour, salt, coconut oil, flax egg, brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla, and almond butter together. A crumbly mixture will form.
- Line an 8×8 square baking pan with parchment paper. Evenly spread out the mixture, pressing it down with your hands.
- Spread the grape jelly on top of the mixture.
Almond Butter Crumble
- In a medium bowl combine flour, vegan butter, brown sugar, almond butter, and salt together. Mix until think crumbles form.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture on top of the jelly. Leave small spaces for the jelly to show (this creates spots of jelly throughout the bars).
- Bake for 25-27 minutes. Let the bars cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Take the bars out of the pan and let the bars cool another 20 minutes before cutting into them.
What vegan recipes are you loving right now? Comment down below! Don’t forget to tell us how amazing these vegan almond butter & jelly crumble bars were for you!