Fall Baking is around the corner (again)! You know what that means: an abundance of flavorful desserts. This is the best season with the warmest flavors: apples, cinnamon, chai, maple, pecans, pumpkins, & MORE. We’re easing our way into this season with an easy, classic recipe: Apple Crumb Cake. This 6-inch mini cake has 3 layers: a cinnamon base, warm apple topping, and a buttery crumble. If an apple a day keeps the doctor away…then this cake is definitely doctors orders!
A kickstart to fall baking on the blog:
Apple Crumb cake tips
Apple Mixture: Apples are the key to this recipe! Baking with sweet apples bring out the best natural flavors in this cake. Use apples like Gala, Honey Crisp, Granny Smith, or Fuji. Dice up 1 large apple and coat the apple with brown sugar and cinnamon. After the apples are coated, evenly spread this this over the cake batter. This makes a smooth apple layer on top of the cake base that’s warm & sweet with every bite!
Streusel: This cake’s crumb is none other than a classic streusel. Streusel is a combination of melted butter, flour, and sugar mixed together in a bowl until a soft crumble forms. I love a clumpy crumb. The bigger your crumbled pieces are, the bigger clusters you’ll have on the cake. Sprinkle this mixture over the apple mixture & bake this in the oven for 30-35 minutes. Some good recipes topped off with a crunchy streusel is our Banana Muffins or our GF Chocolate Donuts.
Apples: Honeycrisp apples get the job done! Substitute any sweet apple (granny smith, fuji, or gala)
Cinnamon: A spice to the base of the cake (we mixed this with brown sugar for the sweet coating to the apples). Substitute pumpkin pie spice!
Vegetable Oil: Don’t have veg oil? Substitute any neutral oil (coconut or canola)
AlmondMilk: Substitute a plain/vanilla plant-based yogurt or non-dairy milk.
Streusel Topping: A sweet crumb made out of butter, flour, & sugar. For a vegan crumb, substitute vegan butter!
Let’s get into this Apple Crumb Cake!
Apple Crumb Cake
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 large Honeycrisp Apple diced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350° F & grease down a 6-inch pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together. Set the bowl aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the vegetable oil, brown sugar, egg, almond milk, and vanilla together.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture & mix until everything is combined. Pour the batter into the pan.
- Coat the diced apple with brown sugar and cinnamon. After the apples are coated, evenly spread this this in the pan over the cake batter.
- Combine the melted butter, flour, cinnamon, and sugar together in a small bowl until a soft crumble forms. The bigger your crumbled pieces are, the bigger clusters you'll have on the cake. Sprinkle this crumb over the apple mixture in the pan.*
- Bake the cake for 30-35 minutes.
Checkout our Instagram for the best recipe reels!