There’s nothing better than chocolate muffins–unless they’re vegan–and unless they have bananas–and unless you add another layer of chocolate too! That’s what this recipe is for! These Vegan Double Chocolate Banana Muffins are everything you need for the best breakfast, snack, or mid-day dessert!
More Vegan Banana Favorites:
- Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Vegan Banana Donuts (with a coconut chocolate glaze)
- Vegan Matcha Banana Bread
Baking With Bananas
Your first try at vegan baking should be anything with bananas! Bananas are healthy, easy to add to your desserts, and blend smoothly in your pastry batters.
They are the key flavors in these vegan double chocolate banana muffins! It’s a our substitute for eggs, and it adds such a rich flavor to the batter! Here’s a few things to keep in mind when baking with bananas:
- Use overripe bananas
- The brown spotted bananas you’re thinking of throwing out? Don’t! These are filled with the perfect flavors and ready to be thrown into your desserts!
- Mash the bananas before adding it to your batter
- No one wants clumpy bananas throughout their batter. Mashing bananas helps smoothly blend in all of the ingredients
- Use the correct banana size
- Bananas can be large, medium, or small. Each recipe should specify which size of bananas to use. Adding too much banana can give you a longer bake time, or using too little banana can give you little-to-no flavor with a shorter bake time.
why double chocolate?
Our double chocolate in these muffins comes from the cocoa powder and the chocolate chips. Chocolate is richly flavored & the best for any type of vegan dessert. Use a fine-grade cocoa powder (We used Hersheys) and mini chocolate chips for the topping. Our cocoa nibs were a bit bigger than the mini chocolate chips, and we mixed this in to the batter.
Bananas: Use overripe bananas & mash the bananas before adding it to your batter.
Vegetable Oil: Don’t have veg oil? Substitute any neutral oil (coconut or canola)
Flax Egg: Flax egg has a 1:3 ratio. For 1 flax egg, combine 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed & 3 tbsp of water. Let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes.
Almond Milk: Substitute a plain/vanilla plant-based yogurt or non-dairy milk.
Vegan Chocolate Chips: Substitute dark chocolate chips! We used minis for the topping and cacao nibs for the middle of the muffins.
Now let’s get into this chocolateyyyy vegan double chocolate banana muffins recipe!
Vegan Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 flax egg *
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 medium overripe banana
- 2½ tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips vegan
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together. Set the bowl aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Add the vegetable oil, brown sugar, flax egg, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Mix well until everything is combined.
- Add the flour mix & the cocoa powder. Mix until there are no specs of flour or cocoa powder left and a thick chocolate batter forms.
- Lastly, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Line a muffin pan with muffin liner (or grease down a muffin pan) and fill the liners ½ way with the batter.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan. Remove & enjoy!
Catch our reel of this amazing recipe on IG!