Alexa play ‘Birthday’ by Katy Perry! Funfetti cakes reminds me of birthday celebrations and Katy Perry. If you have a summer birthday without a funfetti cake…you’re not doing birthdays right! Funfetti is such a fun vibe and the best pop of color added to any dessert. Even if it’s not your birthday, this mini vanilla funfetti cake is small enough to be an after-dinner treat to enjoy between friends or family! This recipe is for two 6 inch cakes, layered, and coated in a sweet vanilla buttercream!
Our favorite summer-style recipes:
- Beat the butter first until it becomes fluffy, then add powdered sugar in small chunks.
- using softened butter is best
- Use milk or heavy cream
- heavy cream will help you get that thick, creamy texture, while milk will give you a fluffier texture.
- add your milk or cream slowly. you can always add more, but you can never take the milk out.
- Add strawberry extract (or any other flavored extract)
- this brings extra flavors and added sweetness to your buttercream
- Cover the bowl with a towel while mixing
- there are many times I’ve had powdered sugar flying everywhere when adding it to the mixer because it wasn’t covered
- The spatula test!
- this is a quick way to confirm that your frosting is the perfect consistency
- press a spatula into your frosting and pull it up.
- the frosting should be a stiff peak with a slight curl on the end
- if it’s too stiff add more milk, if it’s too thin, add more powdered sugar (1/3 cup at a time)
Our favorite recipes with buttercream:
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST LAYERED CAKE
Room temperature ingredients: When your sweets are baking, air expands and helps to create a light tender result. They make baking so much smoother with the best tasting results!
Butter + Sugar: Cream together the butter & sugar until it turns fluffy. It’s important to not over-cream your butter. We suggest beating until both are combined & fluffy (1-2 minutes)
Level Cakes. If your cakes are domed, you can use a knife or a cake leveler to even out the cake. This would make the tops of the cake even for the layers. To get even layers without using a knife or a cake leveler, we use baking straps around the cake pans!
Stacking The Cake: Make sure the cakes are lined up properly. You wouldn’t want ‘leaning tower of Pisa’ style cakes!
Crumb Coat: This is a thin layer of buttercream around the cake to make a nice base for the real layer of butter cream. It’s called a crumb coat because it seals in all the crumbs of the cake so they don’t appear in the final buttercream layer of the cake. I like to chill my crumb coat in the fridge for 10-15 minutes before adding a clean, smooth layer of buttercream.
Butter: Softened butter will add to this extremely fluffy I love to pair butter with sour cream because it brings out a softer, moist cake crumb.
Sugar: The sugar adds sweetness to the cake!
Eggs: The base structure of this cake is eggs! For a non dairy alternative, sub flax eggs, applesauce, or use Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer.
Sour Cream: Add sour cream to get a soft & moist crumb. You can sub full fat greek yogurt, dairy-free vanilla yogurt, or milk.
Vanilla Extract: This is our flavor component (in addition with bananas) For different flavors, add different extracts (almond, coconut, rum, etc).
Butter: Softened butter is the most important part to buttercream. Leave your butter out for 30-45 minutes for the best softened butter. A great substitute is vegan butter!
Powdered Sugar: Sift your powdered sugar before beating it with the butter. This will give you the best clump-free buttercream frosting!
Let’s get into this mini Vanilla Funfetti Cake!
Mini Vanilla Funfetti Cake
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup funfetti sprinkles
- 1½ cups butter softened
- 3½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease down 2 x 6-inch cake pans and line with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar together. Slowly beat in each egg and mix on medium until they're fully blended. Add the sour cream and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture into wet mix. Mix until all flour is absorbed and a thick batter forms. Pour in the funfetti sprinkles & mix until the sprinkles are evenly coated and mixed into the batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the pans, filling them ½ way (you may have a bit left over, be sure not to overfill your pan). Bake for 30-32 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until it's fluffy (1-2 minutes). Add in the powdered sugar (½ cup at a time) & beat on medium. Add in the heavy cream & vanilla extract. Beat until a smooth buttercream forms!
Frosting the Cake
- Take a 6-inch cake, and add a generous amount of frosting to the top of the cake. Top it off with the second 6-inch cake and spread the frosting on the sides and the top of the cake until no specs of the cake shows.*
- Decorate the cake with sprinkles & enjoy!
How much are you loving funfetti in the summer? Leave us a comment below!