This week we’re giving you a tasty Gluten Free dessert! You should never compromise your desserts even with a dietary restriction. This week’s recipe is Gluten Free Chocolate Donuts. Chocolate brings us all back to our childhood with remembering candy bars, cake, and ice cream. It’s a rich, smooth flavor that permeates throughout each dessert leaving you craving for more.
BAKED vs. classic DONUTS
If you’re like me, you probably remember going to the donut shop as a child. Walking in and seeing all flavors, textures, and styles of donuts. So when baked donuts started gaining popularity, it was so easy to hop on this trend! Our favorite breakfast dessert is now super easy and fast to make. The best part about going the baked-donut route is saving time! Classic donuts involve yeast, rise time, and frying. With a baked donut, all you need is one bowl, a tasty batter, and a donut pan! Yes, our baked donut recipes are one bowl! Which means you can add all your ingredients into one bowl, mix, and pour the batter into the donut pans. No mess, no added equipment, and it finishes baking in 15 minutes! This double chocolate combo with a streusel crumb will bring you back to your childhood, experiencing different flavored donuts everyday.
Gluten free baking has it’s perks! There are so many flour substitutions that you can use for your desserts. Each flour will give you a slightly different unique taste! Lot’s of grocery stores are including gluten free flour on their shelves. Some great brands are King Arthur’s Baking, Bob’s Red Mill, and Good & Gather at Target. All of these flours are 1:1 which means you can easily substitute them using the exact measurement for flour in all of your recipes. Apart from gluten free flour, there is: almond flour, oat flour, and buckwheat flour that you can explore when looking for gluten free flours to try.
Unsweetened cocoa powder is our favorite when it comes to baking! In these gluten free chocolate donuts batter we used 1/4 cup of cocoa powder! We paired this cocoa powder with espresso powder. Using espresso powder x cocoa powder together makes your chocolate-based desserts rich in flavor, and sweeter in taste.
Gluten Free Chocolate Donuts
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2½ tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp espresso powder
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup gluten free flour + ½ tbsp
- 2½ tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tbsp almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, combine oil, sugar, cocoa powder, egg, almond milk, + vanilla extract. Mix until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Carefully add flour, baking powder, and salt into the bowl. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Grease a standard donut pan with coconut oil. Fill pan ½ way with batter.
- Combine flour + sugar together. Pour in melted butter, and mix until a crumb forms.
- Generously top off donuts with streusel crumb.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes
- In a medium bowl combine powdered sugar + cocoa powder + milk. Mix until all sugar is dissolved and a thick glaze forms.
- Drizzle the glaze onto cool donuts!
Want to see a step by step video of our recipe? Check out our Instagram reel!
What are your favorite donut flavors? Tell us in the comments!