If you’ve struggled looking for a new way to make chocolate chip cookies or you’re wondering how to revamp your old cookie recipes, look no further. These cookies have brown butter, chocolate chips, and walnuts! We added brown butter and walnuts to our classic cookie recipe, and it completely changed the taste and flavors. Let’s look into some key tips to baking Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies!
BROWN BUTTER TIPS
If you’ve tossed out countless pots of brown butter and you just can’t seem to get the recipe right, these tips are for you! We all know browning butter can be a bit tricky. These top 5 tips I follow every time helps me get the best tasting desserts with my browned butter. And now they can help you too! Let’s get into it!
- Add the butter to a light colored pan over high heat.
- Having a light colored pan will help you see the butter clearly! You’ll know when it goes from bright yellow, to a darker yellow, and finally settling to brown.
- Once the butter fully melts, reduce the heat to medium.
- Melting the butter on high gets you jumpstarted on the process. As soon as the entire block of butter has melted, quickly reduce the heat to medium. This heat change will give you control of the browning process.
- Constantly stir the butter in a clockwise (or counterclockwise) direction.
- Stirring ensures even cooking time and prevents burning.
- Once the butter starts to darken, immediately remove the pot from the stove.
- Don’t wait for the butter to get very dark! As soon as you see brown specs appear, you’re good to go! There’s only a few seconds between having great brown butter and getting burnt butter.
- Pour the browned butter into a heat-safe glass dish and let it cool to room temperature.
- Even if it’s off the stove, the butter can still burn in the pot! I use Pyrex or any clear glass dish that can handle high heat. It’ll help the butter cool to room temperature.
That’s it! These simple 5 steps will ensure you get perfect brown butter for any dessert recipe! I like my brown butter to settle into a semi-firm solid. This makes creaming it with sugar much like creaming basic softened butter. However brown butter can be enjoyed in liquid or solid form. These classic chocolate chip cookies will even have Santa going in for seconds!
Now lets get to baking!
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup all purpose flour + 2 tbsp
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup brown butter
- ½ tsp espresso powder
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 55-70% cacao
- In a small bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, + salt together. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl cream both sugars, espresso powder, + brown butter together. Slowly add in an egg + vanilla bean paste/extract beat until fully incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until all flour is absorbed. Add chocolate chips and walnuts and mix well.
- Seal cookie dough tightly and set in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a cookie scooper (or a spoon) roll cookie dough into 1 inch balls. Set on parchment paper 3-4 inches apart. Bake for 12-13 minutes.
- Let cookies cool for 10-15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack or a plate.
Follow us on Instagram for our lates recipe reels! What brown butter desserts are you loving right now? Tell us in the comments!