You can never have too many donut options. This week’s recipe is Peanut Butter Caramel Donuts. I can’t explain how great these flavors blend together perfectly. It’s a moist, tender, nutty donut with a salted glaze on top! These donuts take 30 minutes to make, and it’s the perfect breakfast treat! If you have nut allergies, try recipe our Iced Vanilla Latte Donuts (substituting almond milk for whole/soy/oat milk) or our Vegan Banana Donuts.
Baked donuts are basically light cakes with a hole served for breakfast. When you want a fast breakfast dessert under 30 minutes, baked donuts are the way to go. These baked peanut butter caramel donuts still have the same great variety of flavors as traditional donuts but they’re thicker, and a bit more fluffy! It doesn’t require a tough process, long bake times, or a mess in the kitchen. Our baked donut recipes are one bowl! Which means you can add all your ingredients into one bowl, mix, and pour the batter into the donut pans. No mess, no added equipment, and it finishes baking in 15 minutes!
Here’s a question for you: of all the extracts we have, why don’t we have a peanut extract? We got almond before peanut?! (Which I don’t mind, but still….) For this recipe, we used unsalted peanut butter. Using unsalted peanut butter controls your salt content in the recipe. If you don’t have unsalted peanut butter, no worries! Use what you have. If you prefer almond butter or cashew butter, throw it right in! These donuts can use any nut butter base.
Lastly, what’s the best way to top off these donuts? None other than a thick, sweet caramel glaze! This glaze only has three ingredients: caramel syrup, almond milk, and powdered sugar! No need for flavored extract. The syrup takes the place of all the flavor in this treat. If you want to make this recipe vegan, try a vegan caramel sauce, substitute the sour cream for almond milk, and take out the egg!
Mix the glaze in a bowl, and dip your donuts face down over the bowl! We recommend placing the donuts on a wire baking rack to set. After this, you can eat as many donuts as you want!!
Peanut Butter Caramel Donuts
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp caramel syrup
- 1¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp almond milk + 1 tbsp extra if needed
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, coconut oil, egg, almond milk, peanut butter, + vanilla extract.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix together until a batter forms.
- Grease a standard donut pan with coconut oil. Fill pan with batter (about ½ way)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- In a medium bowl combine powdered sugar, milk, + caramel. Mix until all the sugar is dissolved and a thick glaze forms.
- Dip cooled donuts* face down into the glaze. Lightly tilt your hand around the ring of the donut. Set donut aside on a wire baking rack. Repeat until all the donuts are glazed.
- Top them off with chopped nuts!
Thinking of making these? Don’t forget to tag us on Instagram (#TheKitchenConversation)
What are some of your favorite peanut butter recipes? Leave a comment below!