Are you fans of pumpkin spiced lattes? It’s the hottest drink as soon as October hits (and for some people, maybe even September). This week’s recipe is the cupcake form of your favorite fall latte. These Pumpkin Spiced Latte Cupcakes are moist, easy, and topped off with a rich brown butter maple buttercream. It’s a perfect trifecta for all things fall.
It’s A Pumpkin Spiced Baking Season!
If you’re like us, you may add a dab of pumpkin spice to everything you bake. It’s very similar to chai spice, making it just so good! You can use it in batter or dough of your favorite scone, muffin, cake, pretzel, or even bagel recipes. Pumpkin Pie spice is sold at almost every store, and it’s the right combination of pumpkin flavors for your dessert. It’s our key ingredient in these Pumpkin Spiced Latte Cupcakes. We also added pumpkin puree for added flavors, tender crumb, and fluffy textures with every bite.
- Beat the butter first until it becomes fluffy, then add powdered sugar in small chunks.
- using softened butter is best
- Use milk or heavy cream
- heavy cream will help you get that thick, creamy texture, while milk will give you a fluffier texture.
- add your milk or cream slowly. you can always add more, but you can never take the milk out.
- Add vanilla extract (or any other flavored extract)
- this brings extra flavors and added sweetness to your buttercream
- Cover the bowl with a towel while mixing
- there are many times I’ve had powdered sugar flying everywhere when adding it to the mixer because it wasn’t covered
- The spatula test!
- this is a quick way to confirm that your frosting is the perfect consistency
- press a spatula into your frosting and pull it up.
- the frosting should be a stiff peak with a slight curl on the end
- if it’s too stiff add more milk, if it’s too thin, add more powdered sugar (1/3 cup at a time)
There’s nothing more satisfying than putting buttercream into a piping bag and letting your creative mind flow when you’re decorating these cupcakes.
Of course we couldn’t just use regular buttercream. We added a light grade maple syrup that instantly added rich flavors to this classic buttercream recipe!
Pumpkin Spiced Latte Cupcakes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil or coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp espresso powder
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup sour cream
Spiced Maple Buttercream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ tbsp almond milk
- ½ tbsp maple syrup light grade/rich flavor
- ¼ tsp pumpkin spice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin spice, + salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat vegetable oil + sugar together until combined. Slowly add in eggs one at a time until fully incorporated. Add pumpkin puree, sour cream, and vanilla and beat on medium.
- Add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, and mix until all combined.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Fill liners ½ way with batter.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Spiced Maple Buttercream
- In a large bowl, beat softened butter for about 2-3 minutes on medium speed or until it's slightly fluffy.
- Add in powdered sugar (I did 1/3-1/2 cups at a time) and beat on medium speed. Add in milk, maple syrup, and pumpkin spice and beat until combined. Buttercream will be a smooth consistency.
- Add buttercream to piping bag with a tip attached (I used Wilton #18) + frost your cupcakes.
These cupcakes were so much fun to make! Checkout some of our Instagram reels with these cupcakes.
What are some pumpkin spiced foods you’re loving? Leave a comment below!