This Blueberry Poppyseed Loaf Cake is the sister (or cousin) to a classic lemon poppyseed cake. Lemon poppyseed cakes are so common and it screams springtime. But what loafcakes can we enjoy in the fall with fruity flavors? Blueberries are popular in the spring + summer, but they are rich in flavor that they carry over into the fall + winter. This loaf cake will have you enjoying every bite,
On top of these robust flavors, we’ve combined sour cream + buttermilk into one loaf. On their own buttermilk + sour cream bring flavor and smooth textures to cakes. It’s moist, and heavy yet soft to the bite. For this recipe, if you don’t have sour cream, make it 1/2 a cup of buttermilk, and if you don’t have buttermilk then make it 1/2 cup of sour cream. Both of these ingredients combined elevate the rich flavors + brings out the moist thick layers of the loaf cake. Just take a look at the thick slices in the photos!
Loaf cakes are easy to package, serve, require little to no icing, and can be done in about 2 hours. This seems like a long time, but the majority of this time is baking + cooling. The actual work is mixing and pouring a glaze. I use 9×13 loaf pans. Line your pans with parchment paper to easily pull out your loaf cakes. Although loaf cakes take a long time to bake, make sure you take it out exactly at the time it’s ready!
Bring these cakes to parties, take them on picnics, or add it to your lunch for a sneaky dessert! It requires no fork, no smushed icing, but still has all of the delightful flavors of a traditional cake.
Blueberry Poppyseed Loaf Cake
- 2¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup butter softened
- 1½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2½ tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp poppyseeds
- 1 cup blueberries
Blueberry Almond Glaze
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, + salt.
- In a large bowl, cream butter + sugar together. Slowly add in each egg until fully incorporated. Add sour cream + buttermilk + vanilla, beating on medium until fully mixed.
- Using a spatula, mix in poppyseeds by hand. Once poppyseeds are fully incorporated, coat blueberries in 1 tbsp of flour.* Pour the blueberries into the batter + mix until all the blueberries are incorporated.
- Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with neutral oil, or line it with parchment paper. Pour batter in + smooth until it's an even layer in pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool completely before pouring icing over cake.
Blueberry Almond Glaze
- In a small pan over medium heat, pour in blueberries + sugar. Cook until blueberries start to soften (3-5 minutes).
- With a sieve, pour blueberry mix over a small bowl + pour the cranberry mixture into the sieve. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir in powdered sugar + almond extract until completely dissolve. The glaze will be thick.
- Pour on cooled loaf cake. Top with blueberries, powdered sugar, + extra poppyseeds!
Are you following us on Instagram? We have the best BTS of recipes, video reels, and lots of posts giving you tips to the best bakeries & coffee shops across the nation!
What loaf cake recipes would you like to see next?